Crime against women: Mumbai tops in state
- Coal scam: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh summoned as accused in Hindalco case
- Supreme Court hands out life term to six convicts in Manjunath murder case
- AAP Delhi MLAs write letter seeking expulsion of Yadav, Bhushan: Reports
- Land to Mines to coal, Oppn stands stall in RS
- BJP line to restive RSS: our ministers may quit if PDP doesn’t behave
In the past one year, Mumbai has earned the dubious distinction of being the crime capital of Maharashtra, with rape and molestation cases in the city recording a sharp rise in 2013 as compared to the previous year.
As many as 224 rape cases were registered in the city by July alone this year, against the total of 232 rape cases in 2012. Molestation cases too have already surpassed last year's total, with 635 cases registered till July as compared to the previous year's total of 614.
According to Mumbai police records, there has been a three-fold increase in rape cases in the first three months of 2013 as compared to the same period last year.
Between January and March 2013, 96 cases of rape against minors and adults were registered in the city, against 33 during the same period in 2012.
Even in 2012, Mumbai registered the highest number cases of rapes, molestation and sexual assault in Maharashtra. Mumbai accounted for around 10.4 per cent of crimes against women in the state in 2012.
Of the total rape cases in Maharashtra in 2012, 12.6 per cent or 232 were reported in Mumbai, while 15.6 per cent or 614 incidents of molestation took place in the city. Around 18.2 per cent or 235 cases of sexual assault were reported in Mumbai in 2012.