Crimes against women in Gurgaon rose in 2013
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
Crimes against women in Gurgaon rose sharply in 2013 as compared to 2012. According to Gurgaon police records, until December 20, 2013, 110 rapes and 15 attempt-to-rape cases were registered as opposed to 45 and 17, respectively, in 2012. Cases of molestation also rose to 98 in 2013, from 18 in 2012.
Police said stringent measures to tackle crimes against women and increased awareness were some of the reasons for more cases being reported.
Gurgaon police had launched a women's helpline in January, 2013. "We received 7,005 complaints of obscene calls and SMSes last year," Chander Prakash, head of Women's Cell (Gurgaon), said.