Criminal probe ongoing into Warren Jeffs polygamous sects
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today
- China blames Islamic militants for attack by knife-wielding 'terrorists'
- Govt confirms: US snooped on India emails
- Ordinances on Seemandhra, Rahul Bills are likely today
- UP shuts reserve forest as it hosts Sahara chief Subrata Roy
Last year, the U.S. Justice Department sued Colorado City and Hildale, claiming discrimination against residents who are not FLDS members. Arizona also has a similar ongoing civil lawsuit against Colorado City.
The criminal probe announced Tuesday by Horne and Sheahan mirrors the one that landed Jeffs in prison.
After receiving a complaint of child abuse, Texas authorities in 2008 raided the FLDS' Yearning for Zion Ranch. The move led to a chaotic roundup of 400 children living at the secretive location in what became one of the largest custody cases in U.S. history.
All of the children were eventually returned but 11 men _ including Jeffs and other high-ranking FLDS lieutenants _ were arrested on charges of sexual assault or bigamy and later convicted.