CSI welcomes IOC's move to suspend IOA
- Polls open in Britain's historic European Union referendum
- Day after NDMC legal advisor was killed, LG Najeeb Jung sought action on complaint against him
- Swamy tweets again: Suspends demand for CEA's sacking, but with conditions
- NSG Plenary Session Begins today: France backs India, all eyes on PM Modi-Xi meet
- Indians flood (wrong) Baghdadi with queries on Islamic State
Cleans Sports India (CSI) today welcomed the International Olympic Committee's decision to disband the IOA, stating that the suspension has substantiated the country's sports fraternity's fight against the corrupt officials of the national sports body.
"Cleans Sports India and the entire sports fraternity welcomes the suspension of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) by IOC. We feel that our fight against the officials of IOA and its malfunctioning under the leadership of Suresh Kalmadi and V K Malhotra is vindicated," said a CSI release.
"In India there is a huge public outrage against these officials and all political leaders who are running our federations without restricting entries to sportsmen who have competed at the highest level," it added.
CSI also said that will co-operate with the IOC in starting reforms in the Indian Olympic Movement.
"IOC's move on suspension of IOA is a great opportunity to start reforms in the Indian Olympic Movement. We will cooperate with IOC in taking the reforms agenda forward to build permanent institutional mechanism, which is transparent and accountable with in IOA. And to improve the management of sports in India based on well accepted principles of good governance and ethical standards of the Olympic Movement."
CSI, however, said the IOC must start the reform process soon "so that the suspension of IOA is revoked at the earliest to protect the interests of our current sportspersons".
"However, we see a serious problem in moving forward with Mr V K Malhotra being the acting head of the suspended IOA. You are well aware of Mr Malhotra's continuous defiance of IOC's suggestions and directions since the last two years on various issues," the release stated.
"As recent as 5th December election of IOA which the IOC has categorically stated that it will not recognise the new body, Mr Malhotra has constituted a five member panel/board on 6th December with him as the chairman and four other members Mr Chautala, Mr Nanavati, Mr Bhanot and Mr Ramachandran who were "elected" in the illegal election as President, Sr Vice President, Secretary General and Treasurer to take day to day decisions of IOA," CSI added.
- Any party serious about UP’s development would try and make trifurcation a political issue
- There are lessons for India in Thailand’s experience on universal healthcare
- China’s declining competitiveness is an opportunity for India apparel industry
- If there is maun yoga, let Salman Khan practice it
- There is no logical way to refute the generalised assertions about the CSO’s skulduggery
- EU referendum: Days of unmaking