Cucumber: Vital part of low-cal diet
- LIVE: Lok Sabha passes Telangana Bill, Jagan calls for bandh across Andhra Pradesh
- Your ministers used to throw dust, now they're using pepper spray to fool people: Modi to Cong
- Rajiv Gandhi's killers get relief, Supreme Court commutes death penalty to life
- Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
- Interim Budget 2014: Economy headache for next government
Cucumber belongs to the same family as squashes and watermelon. It is believed that it was one of the first cultivated vegetables.
It's most remarkable quality is its high water (95 per cent) and low calorie content (14 calories in a cup of freshly sliced cucumber). Besides this, it has low carbohydrate content though it does provide half a gram of protein and 3 gm of fibre per cup. It also has small amounts of plant vitamin A, some B vitamins, vitamin C, folate, potassium, selenium, silicon, molybdenum and alpha hydroxyl acids. Alpha hydroxyl acids and silicon, present in cucumbers, are good for skin, hair, nails and bone health. Silicon also plays a vital role in the prevention of heart disease, insomnia and skin disorders.
Alkaline nature and mild diuretic properties of cucumber are known to help cleanse the system by elimination of waste, including excess uric acid. In traditional folk remedies, it was often recommended as a diuretic and also used for its anti-inflammatory properties for conditions like arthritis, gout and skin diseases like eczema. It is useful for those trying to lose weight.
With its cleansing and restorative properties, one cucumber a day can serve as a useful addition to a healthy diet.
Ishi Khosla is a former senior nutritionist at Escorts. She heads the Centre of Dietary Counselling and also runs a health food store. She feels that for complete well-being, one should integrate physical, mental and spiritual health. According to her: "To be healthy should be the ultimate goal for all."
- ‘Job target now hinges on manufacturing’
- Murder of Sahu siblings: Court says convict to be in jail for ‘the rest of his life’
- Inauguration drama: Amid BJP’s boos and barbs, mayor stars in second act
- Police’s grievance cell flooded with complaints from cops, 15 in past year
- NDA lodges FIR after cadet goes missing, he returns to tell cops he missed family
- Allow us to install gates at Narmada dam, you take credit: Modi to Centre