Cuffe Parade cops seek custody of man arrested for molesting girl
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
Cuffe Parade police has sought custody of a taxi driver who was arrested for allegedly molesting a six-year-old girl earlier this month. The police will be interrogating him to check if he was behind the three serial murders of minor girls in Colaba-Cuffe Parade area.
In November 2011, the body of a four-year-old girl was found between Vidyut Bhavan and fire station at Cuffe Parade. Her head was smashed with a stone. In January 2012, a three-year-old girl from the same neighbourhood, was found in a similar state at the same spot.
Although both bodies were severely decomposed, circumstantial evidence suggested sexual abuse. In April 2012, a three-year-old's body was found in the sea at Marine Drive. The police have so far questioned and collected DNA samples from more than 200 suspects.
On January 3, an officer with the MRA Marg police, who was patrolling St George Hospital lane, heard sounds from behind a taxi and went to check. He allegedly saw a man molesting a six-year-old girl, and took him into custody. "The man, Abdul Rafique Sayyed (42), is a taxi driver and resident of Dana Bunder," said senior inspector Padmakar Juikar, MRA Marg police.
On learning about his arrest, Cuffe Parade police sought his custody. "We should have his custody by Wednesday," senior inspector Janardan Kharat of Cuffe Parade police.