Curfew in parts of Shopian, Kulgam
- Sonia Gandhi attacks BJP ideology, says Country is at crossroads
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi
A day after four people were killed at Gagran in Shopian, the J&K government imposed strict curfew in several parts of Shopian and Kulgam districts. Despite the curfew, protests broke out in several parts of Shopian against the deaths.
Police said it is yet to identify the youth killed in the shootout outside a CRPF camp Saturday. The third youth has been identified as a resident of Kulgam.
"We are yet to identify the fourth person," police spokesperson Major Kumar told The Indian Express. "The other person has been identified as Tariq Ahmad Mir."
Police sources said Mir, a resident of Kulgam, had no known militant links. They said the fourth person, however, has not been identified. Sources said that he might be a non-Kashmiri labourer or a Pakistani militant.
In Shopian, scores took to streets on Sunday. A large number of people assembled at Baba Mohalla Shopian — where one of the victims, Touseef Ahmad, belonged — and tried to march to the streets. Police and paramilitary forces used teargas shells and lathicharge to disperse them.
Despite the curfew in Shopian, a large number of people from Gagran and adjoining villages marched to the CRPF camp and staged a sit-in. The protesters alleged that the CRPF killed civilians and demanded punishment for the guilty personnel.
- To attract more bidders, UT may make changes in excise policy this year
- AAP rally draws tepid response as senior leaders give it a miss
- Jaitley versus Captain: Hard fight, harder to call
- Attack on teachers, medical staff: Maoists say sorry for ‘lapse’
- Swamp of Muslim candidates may upset Congress applecart
- RSS-led core group maps Modi campaign route