Customs seize gold worth over Rs 62 lakh at Mumbai airport
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Amnesty welcomes SC verdict on transgender
- If Modi loses in Varanasi, no one will make him PM: Arvind Kejriwal
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
Customs sleuths Saturday detected five cases of smuggling at the international airport here and seized 2.5 kilograms of gold valued at around Rs 62.58 lakh.
In the first case, officials of the Air Intelligence Unit stopped a passenger Mirza Yasir Hussain and his search led to the recovery of 812 grams of gold concealed in belt buckles and a chain of ladies purses. "One of the chains was worn by him..All the chains were coated with paint to avoid detection", said a customs official. In the second case, a passenger Mohammed Ahmed had concealed five gold bars weighing 580 grams worth Rs 15 lakh, in his rectum. In other cases, 10 bars were seized from passengers.