Customs seize gold worth over Rs 62 lakh at Mumbai airport
- Telangana LIVE: Bill passed by throwing all norms to the wind, says Kiran Kumar Reddy after quitting Congress
- Protests in RS over Telangana, papers snatched from Secretary General
- Rajiv Gandhi killers to be released, Jayalalithaa takes decision at Tamil Nadu Cabinet meet
- Decision to black out Telangana proceedings taken by Lok Sabha secretariat, confirms Kamal Nath
- Express 5: AAP kickstarts its poll funding drive and Telangana Bill passed in Lok Sabha
Customs sleuths Saturday detected five cases of smuggling at the international airport here and seized 2.5 kilograms of gold valued at around Rs 62.58 lakh.
In the first case, officials of the Air Intelligence Unit stopped a passenger Mirza Yasir Hussain and his search led to the recovery of 812 grams of gold concealed in belt buckles and a chain of ladies purses. "One of the chains was worn by him..All the chains were coated with paint to avoid detection", said a customs official. In the second case, a passenger Mohammed Ahmed had concealed five gold bars weighing 580 grams worth Rs 15 lakh, in his rectum. In other cases, 10 bars were seized from passengers.
- Money talks: ‘Unanimous’ SLC gets on board with ICC revamp plan
- The great Game Folio: Silk routes
- In taxing times, realtors discover ‘fringe’ benefits
- Few takers for UT scholarships, students claim not enough info
- Interim budget focuses on transport but misses out on Metro Rail for UT
- GPP to become history, will merge with BJP next week in Modi’s presence