Cut off every cent of aid to Pakistan: US lawmakers
- EC bans Amit shah, Azam Khan from holding public rallies after hate speech
- Congress complains to EC on Narendra Modi's marital status issue, seeks action for 'hiding facts'
- Rahul Gandhi brings up Narendra Modi's marital status at Doda rally
- PMO attacks Sanjaya Baru on his book
- April 11 Campaign roundup: Why should I condemn it, asks Deve Gowda on Mulayam Singh's 'rape' remark
"In Pakistan, billions of aid has been given to the Pakistanis since then - billions of aid - while they, at the same time, have terrorised their neighbours and repressed their own people; those own people like the Balochs, who are now fighting and struggling for their freedom there," Congressman Dana Rohrabacher said at a Congressional hearing.
"We should cut Pakistan off of every cent because it's being used for evil purposes, and it's even been used to kill Americans. It's time we face reality, admit our mistakes, and cut our losses and quit supporting failed policies and corrupt dictators," Rohrabacher said during the hearing at the Middle East and South Asia Sub-committee of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
During the hearing, senior Congressman Gary Ackerman accused Pakistan of sponsoring and providing shelter to terrorists.
"Pakistan is like a black hole for American aid. Our tax dollars go in, our diplomats go in (sometimes), our aid professionals go in (sometimes), our hopes go in, our prayers go in. Nothing good comes out," said Ackerman.
"Since FY 2004, we have sunk USD 24 billion in foreign assistance to Pakistan. It is hard to fathom how so much money can buy so little. Waste at this scale requires not only an oblivious body politic and Congress, but a large cadre of government professionals and a horde of contractors," he said.
"Pakistan continues to shelter, directly support and sponsor terrorist. Officially acknowledging this indisputable fact might be grossly impolitic; but that doesn't make it less true. American standing in Pakistani public opinion is terrible and getting worse," he said.
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul