Cyclone Madi to intensify into severe storm
- Dawood's hanging would have satisfied us more: Family of 93 blasts victim
- Terrorists who attacked Gurdaspur came from Pakistan: Rajnath Singh
- Nation bids tearful adieu to former president APJ Abdul Kalam
- Why this unseemly hurry in Yakub execution: Prashant Bhushan
- Taliban confirms leader Mullah Omar's death, new successor already in place
A cyclonic storm named 'Madi' would intensify into a severe cyclonic storm, bringing rain or thundershowers over some parts of Tamil Nadu and Andhra
Pradesh during the next 48 hours, Indian Meteorological Department said today.
"The depression over southwest Bay of Bengal intensified into a cyclonic storm 'MADI' early this morning and will intensify into a severe cyclonic storm and move nearly northwards very slowly in the next 48 hours," an IMD bulletin
It was "practically stationary" and lay centred about 500 km southeast of Chennai and 370 km northeast of Triconamalee in Sri Lanka, it added.
"Under the influence of this system, rainfall at a few places would occur over coastal Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, south coastal Andhra Pradesh and Andaman and Nicobar Islands during the next 48 hours," it added.
Later, in an updated bulletin, IMD asked fishermen in the southern states to be cautious while venturing into the sea.
"Fishermen along and off Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south Andhra Pradesh coasts are advised to be cautious while venturing into sea and should not venture into deep sea," it said.