Cyclone Madi to intensify into severe storm
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Narendra Modi slams Jayanti Natarajan; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
A cyclonic storm named 'Madi' would intensify into a severe cyclonic storm, bringing rain or thundershowers over some parts of Tamil Nadu and Andhra
Pradesh during the next 48 hours, Indian Meteorological Department said today.
"The depression over southwest Bay of Bengal intensified into a cyclonic storm 'MADI' early this morning and will intensify into a severe cyclonic storm and move nearly northwards very slowly in the next 48 hours," an IMD bulletin
It was "practically stationary" and lay centred about 500 km southeast of Chennai and 370 km northeast of Triconamalee in Sri Lanka, it added.
"Under the influence of this system, rainfall at a few places would occur over coastal Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, south coastal Andhra Pradesh and Andaman and Nicobar Islands during the next 48 hours," it added.
Later, in an updated bulletin, IMD asked fishermen in the southern states to be cautious while venturing into the sea.
"Fishermen along and off Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south Andhra Pradesh coasts are advised to be cautious while venturing into sea and should not venture into deep sea," it said.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18