Cylinder blast in Goregaon kills teen
- Cong makes public Raje's signed document backing Lalit Modi, asks govt to sack her
- Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal announces run for US presidential elections 2016
- Maharashtra minister Pankaja Munde accused of Rs 206 crore 'scam'
- Smriti Irani in dock over fake degree; Congress, AAP demand her sacking
- All above the age of 75 in BJP declared brain dead by Modi: Yashwant Sinha
A teen was killed and two people injured in a cylinder blast at a compressed natural gas (CNG) filling station in Goregaon on Friday morning.
The cylinder attached to a water tanker started leaking due to a faulty valve and exploded. As a consequence, three other cylinders kept next to it also burst, said fire department officials.
Rakesh Sadashiv Saroj (18), who was passing by, was hit by a cylinder and suffered serious injuries. He later died at KEM Hospital.
Rameshchandra Joshi (55) and Somnath Suryavanshi (32) escaped with minor injuries. They were treated at Siddharth Hospital in Goregaon.
A case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder has been registered against the tanker owner and dealer, but no arrests have been made.
"The cylinder on the tanker started leaking due to a faulty valve. The explosion caused a fire and other cylinders were thrown off," said a fire officer.
An officer at Vanrai Police Station in Goregaon (East) said, "Investigation is under way."
Police are searching for the owner and manager of the gas station. A team of engineers is trying to ascertain the reason for the mishap.
How it happened
The cylinder attached to a water tanker started leaking due to a faulty valve and exploded. As a consequence, three other cylinders kept next to it also burst