Dabholkar murder: Pune police arrest two persons hiding at feast venue in Goa
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, RR vs SRH: RR pick regular wickets, stall SRH progress
Pune Crime Branch has taken into custody two persons from Goa for questioning in connection with the murder of noted rationalist Narendra Dabholkar. The duo, hiding at a feast venue at Old Goa near Panaji, was detained on December 3, Goa Deputy Inspector General of Police O P Mishra said on Saturday.
The operation to track down the suspects, said to be sharp shooters hailing from Mumbai whose names were not revealed, was jointly conducted by Pune and Goa Police. The detention was made at a village housing cluster of churches, where the annual feast of St Francis Xavier is going on. The duo was picked up from a stall, Mishra said.
Both were taken immediately to Pune, where the 68-year old anti-superstition activist was gunned down by unidentified assailants on August 20.
Pune Police have failed to achieve a breakthrough in the case so far and Dabholkar's family is pushing for a CBI inquiry.
Earlier it was suspected that right-wing outfits were behind the murder of Dabholkar, who waged a relentless campaign for enactment of a strong anti-superstition and black magic law in Maharashtra.
However, late last month, Pune Police told Bombay High Court there was no evidence suggesting involvement of right-wing extremists in the killing of Dabholkar. The HC was hearing a petition seeking NIA probe into the murder.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer