Dahi Handi celebrated with fervour in Mumbai, Thane
- Boston Marathon bomber Dzokhar Tsarnaev sentenced to death by lethal injection
- India, China face terror threat from source in same region: PM Modi
- Petrol price hiked by Rs 3.13/litre, diesel by Rs 2.71/litre; Cong says it's Modi govt's anniversary 'gift'
- BCCI plans to replace Champions League T20 with a mini-IPL in UAE
- JD(U), RJD tussle over seat-sharing begins; Lalu demands 145, Nitish says take all 243
As the ever rising cash prizes, presence of Bollywood personalities lent a glamour quotient to the Dahi Handi festival, people of Mumbai and Thane on Monday celebrated the fest with gusto.
Every year, the dahi handi festival is held to celebrate Janmashtami, the birth anniversary of Lord Krishna.
Today, piling onto their cavalcade of trucks and motorcycles, hundreds of Govindas were spotted travelling to pandals to prove their mettle.
'Govindas' form pyramids and stand on top of one another attempting to break clay pots filled with butter or curd that are tied to ropes even as their efforts are thwarted by water splashed on them by those gathered around.
Nearly every big dahi handi is affiliated to a political party. Higher cash prize mean larger crowd. The attractive prize money, presence of film stars and live performers is lending a glamour quotient to the festival.
NCP MLA, Jitendra Ahwad, organiser of Sangarsh dahi handi in Thane has offered prize money of Rs one crore. This year, a team of Spanish Castellers will pose a competition for the local Govindas.
While, MNS MLA Ram Kadam's Dahi Handi at Ghatkopar attracts prize money of Rs 51 lakh and Shiv Sena MLA Pratap Sarnaik's Sanskruti Yuva Pratishthan at Vartak Nagar in Thane has offered Rs 25 lakh. Sarnaik has roped in Bollywood art director Nitin Desai to design the stage. Actor John Abraham had come to have a glance at Sarnaik's Dahi Handi fest.
NCP legislator Sachin Ahir's Sankalp Pratisthan handi is being organised at Worli.