Dahod villagers foil loot bid, one killed
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Modi's jibe at Mulayam: âBalaatkariyon ke liye Netaji ka mann ekdum mulayam haiâ
- Malaysian Airlines MH370: 4 questions about missing plane answered
- After denying a 'Modi wave', Joshi endorses Modi as India's next PM
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia and Rahul were the primary decision makers while Manmohan was just a facade, says Modi
An alleged robber was killed and another seriously injured when they jumped off a bridge after villagers caught them following an unsuccessful loot bid in Revari village of Devgadh Baria taluka in Dahod district early on Wednesday.
Police said a gang of around eight robbers entered house of Girish Baria in the village past Tuesday midnight. They kept Baria's family members silent on knife point. However, Baria raised the alarm. The gang injured Baria, his father, son, uncle and nephew with sharp weapons and tried to run away. But they were encountered by villagers who had responded to Baria's call.
"While six members of the gang managed to escape, two were caught by a mob of around 20 unidentified villagers. The mob attacked the duo with blunt and sharp weapons and seriously injured them. To escape further beating, the duo made a dash out of village and jumped off a bridge over a rivulet. However, one of the robbers was found dead in the riverbed in the morning while the other was seriously injured and was laying unconscious there," Devgadh Baria police sub-inspector Jayesh Vaghela said.
The injured, who has been identified as Rakesh Bhabhor, a resident of Garbada taluka of Dahod, has been admitted to a government hospital in Devgadh Baria and his condition was reported to be out of danger later in the evening.
Police said the one who has been killed was yet to be identified.
On the basis of Bhabhor's complaint, police have booked 20 unidentified persons for murder. Baria has also lodged a complaint of assault against the gang and Bhabhor has been arrested.