Dalai Lama launches Bivalent polio vaccine in Bihar
- Probing Pathankot attack: Fence floodlights that didn’t work, gaps in border patrol
- Venkaiah meets Sonia, seeks Cong cooperation in passage of critical bills
- Opinion: Left is stuck with old issues, writes Prakash Karat
- Chhattisgarh Tapes: Congress expels MLA Amit Jogi for six years
- Sensex tumbles 378 pts, Nifty cracks 7,700 on global rout
The Dalai Lama on Sunday launched the Bivalent polio vaccine in Bihar by administering a few drops to two children here on National Immunisation Day, Gaya district officials said.
Bihar polio eradication in-charge, Gopal Krishna said in Patna that the new vaccine was administered to children in 20 out of 38 districts of the state today.
The new vaccine was formally launched by President Pratibha Patil at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Saturday.
There are three strains of wild polio virus - P1, P2 and P3. Type 2 wild polio virus (P2) was eliminated in 1999. Efforts are being made to eradicate P1 and P3 also and medical experts say the new vaccine is more effective against both viruses.
- Left is stuck with old issues. It must strike new conversations with middle classes and youth
- To tackle terror, Saudi Arabia would have to fight the very forces it supports
- In the new year, the state must not look on as the weak are bullied
- A dream called Akhand Bharat
- Underestimating disability
- India, Pakistan must break the pattern of camaraderie cameos