Dalai Lama launches Bivalent polio vaccine in Bihar
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS; Lok Sabha elections battle between two completely different ideologies, says Sonia Gandhi
- Elections 2014 Live: BJP workers embarrass Murli Joshi by shouting pro-Modi slogans
The Dalai Lama on Sunday launched the Bivalent polio vaccine in Bihar by administering a few drops to two children here on National Immunisation Day, Gaya district officials said.
Bihar polio eradication in-charge, Gopal Krishna said in Patna that the new vaccine was administered to children in 20 out of 38 districts of the state today.
The new vaccine was formally launched by President Pratibha Patil at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Saturday.
There are three strains of wild polio virus - P1, P2 and P3. Type 2 wild polio virus (P2) was eliminated in 1999. Efforts are being made to eradicate P1 and P3 also and medical experts say the new vaccine is more effective against both viruses.
According to Global Polio Eradication Initiative, India registered 703 cases as of December 15, 2009.
- Sonia, Rahul must come clean on issues raised in the books:BJP
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign