Dalai Lama launches Bivalent polio vaccine in Bihar
- Indonesian military plane crash death toll rises to 74
- Eurogroup turned down Greek bailout extension, says Finnish FinMin Alexander Stubb
- Disappointment creeping in over Modi govt's reform pace: Moody's
- Dholpur Palace: Congress' fresh document says it's a govt property
- Greece will not pay IMF debt on Tuesday: Finance minister
The Dalai Lama on Sunday launched the Bivalent polio vaccine in Bihar by administering a few drops to two children here on National Immunisation Day, Gaya district officials said.
Bihar polio eradication in-charge, Gopal Krishna said in Patna that the new vaccine was administered to children in 20 out of 38 districts of the state today.
The new vaccine was formally launched by President Pratibha Patil at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Saturday.
There are three strains of wild polio virus - P1, P2 and P3. Type 2 wild polio virus (P2) was eliminated in 1999. Efforts are being made to eradicate P1 and P3 also and medical experts say the new vaccine is more effective against both viruses.
According to Global Polio Eradication Initiative, India registered 703 cases as of December 15, 2009.