Daler Mehndi, four leaders to be inducted into Cong today
- PM in Paris: 'We must create a balance between economy and ecology'
- PM Modi meets Nawaz Sharif at UN climate summit in Paris
- Congress raises Dadri, Kalburgi killing in Lok Sabha; BJP hits back
- Petrol price cut by 58 paise per litre, diesel 25 paise
- India's economic growth accelerates to 7.4 per cent in July-September
Congress is all set to welcome pop music star Daler Mehndi along with MLAs and leaders from three political parties into its fold. In a ceremony on Tuesday, the Congress will induct Mehndi, MLAs Ram Singh Netaji and Asif Mohammed Khan into the party after the AICC gave the state unit the green light.
Senior leaders maintained that Mehndi would not only campaign for the party, but may even be given a ticket.
"Mehndi is a well-known popstar and Punjabi singer in Delhi and is sure to enthuse not only the party, but voters as well. He has also expressed his desire to contest elections under a Congress ticket," a party functionary said.
Netaji, a sitting BSP MLA from Badarpur and Khan, a sitting MLA from the RJD, former BJP councillor A K Monga and former NCP MLA Ramvir Singh Bidhuri will also be inducted into the party on Tuesday. All four are expected to be given Congress tickets in the Assembly elections later this year. Bidhuri and Netaji were both members of the Congress but had quit citing differences.
Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC) president J P Agarwal on Monday said they had expressed their desire to join the Congress Party recently. "This has been accepted by the party leadership. They will be admitted to the Congress party," Agarwal said.
Sources in the Congress said Mehndi could take on Sikh candidates from the BJP and the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD). "After the SAD won the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) in January this year, the party has been looking at ways of taking on the BJP-SAD combine in Delhi," a senior leader said.
According to the DPCC, Mehndi could contest from one of the city's Sikh-majority seats such as Rajouri Garden, Tilak Nagar and Hari Nagar.
- Under General Sharif, Pakistan army is carrying low-intensity war against diversity of opinion
- Framed at BJP’s Diwali milan: Selfie-Made Journalism
- Raja-Mandala: Modi’s multilateral moment
- The politics of peace
- Ahead of the Paris summit, India has been again targeted as a spoiler
- Shunning coal not viable for India; World needs to come together to make it cleaner