Dalit boy commits suicide on Etah school campus 'after police harassment'
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
A Class XII student of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya in Etah allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree inside the school campus on Tuesday morning.
Students alleged that Raj Kumar, a Dalit, ended his life after the police and school authorities thrashed him while questioning him in connection with the disappearance of a student on Monday.
Students held a demonstration inside the campus, damaged furniture and demanded suspension of the accused persons. However, the police and school administration pacified the agitated students.
In the evening, on the basis of a complaint from Ashish Yadav, a student, the police lodged an FIR against principal RP Sharma, teacher Beena and Station Officer of Rijaur police station Subodh Kumar on the charges of causing hurt, insult, abetment of suicide, and SC/ST Atrocities Act.
Additional Superintendent of Police RM Bhardwaj said they found a note fixed on the door of the hostel warden which, according to students, was Raj's suicide note.
The note, purportedly written by Raj, said that the principal, a teacher and the station officer of Raijaur police station had thrashed and abused him after Shivam, a class XII student, went missing on Monday morning.
The police questioned students and, later in the evening, found Shivam at the house of a friend's relative.