Dalit girl sexually assaulted even as protests rage pan-India over Delhi gangrape
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
Even as protests over the gruesome Delhi gangrape raged across the country and police on guard to prevent such occurrences, yet nothing seems to be helping in stopping criminal elements having their way with unwary, unsuspecting women.
A 17-year-old Dalit girl was allegedly raped by 10 persons for nine days in Karnataka's Hassan district.
Seven of the accused have been arrested.
The girl was allegedly raped at various places in the district by the accused, who brought her to the town from Magge village in Alur taluk promising her employment, Superintendent of Police Amith Singh said over phone.
The ten sexually exploited the girl in turns from December 19 to December 27. The gang then dumped her in Hassan yesterday after which she approached an NGO for women, which immediately alerted police.
Singh said the police constituted three teams to trace the accused and seven have been held.
"We are looking for more suspects. They will also be arrested soon. All the arrested have been subjected to medical examination," he said.
The seven arrested, including an auto rickshaw driver, would be produced before a local court tomorrow, he said.
Meanwhile, former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda, who is a Lok Sabha member from Hassan, has demanded exemplary punishment to the accused.
- Cong appoints Harshad scam accused as chief of Mumbai Gujarati cell
- Militants kill PDP sarpanch in Valley
- VVIP chopper scam: CBI chief meets envoy in Italy
- In final run, Mavericks first hurdle for Spurs
- Injuries to Neymar, Alba add to Barcelona’s woes
- Rani Jhansi flyover: HC notices to civic body, Railways