Dalit leaders seek quota in private sector
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- SC allows annual cap of 20m tonnes of iron ore mining in Goa
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Pt Channulal Mishra backs Modi but Bismillah's family won't
Dalit leaders gathered in the city from across the country for a national conference unanimously demanded Wednesday reservation for the community in the private sector.
The conference also issued a 12-point programme for holisitic development of Dalits in which it demanded government as well as private enterprises reserve 25 per cent of all tenders floated for the community.
"The state is keen on privatisation. This means jobs in government sector are going down. To empower Dalits, it is imperative that state bring reservations in private sector as well," national chairman of Confederation of SC-ST Employees Udit Raj said.
He said if SCs and STs voted together, Dalits may be able to decide next PM. BJP ex-MP Ram Nath Kovind claimed NDA, when in power, was keen to bring reservations in private sector but proposal was put in cold storage after UPA came to power.
Reservation in private sector
Training and empowerment to accommodate SCs in private sector
Reservation in judiciary and cabinet
Effective PDS system
Proportional share for SCs in budgetary allocation
Free and high quality education for Dalits
25 per cent reservation in all government and private sector contracts
25 per cent reservation in plots given by industrial development corporations
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota