Dalit stabbed to death in Ramanathapuram
- Rahul Gandhi fasts with agitating students at Hyd university, BJP calls it 'cheap politics'
- Classic politics of vulturisation: BJP on Rahul's visit to Hyd University
- Month before budget, Raghuram Rajan cautions: Don’t overspend to spur growth
- Solar scam: Kerala HC grants Chandy some relief as Saritha targets his son
- Centre justifies President’s rule in Arunachal: ‘Threat from China, war-like situation’
Tension prevailed at Ponniapuram village in Ramanathapuram district after a dalit was stabbed to death by some unidentified persons late last night, police said today.
The body of the 38-year-old man was found among some bushes this morning, police said.
The district earlier this month had witnessed violence after three persons belonging to the Thevar community were murdered near Paramakudi on October 30 during the 105th birth anniversary celebrations of freedom fighter and Thevar community icon Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar.
Police did not rule out the murder to be a case of retaliation by the Thevar community people,to avenge the three murders,sources said.
Police said armed police personnel had been dispatched to monitor the situation close in and around Paramakudi.
Two Head constables have been placed under suspension for remaining mute spectators to the murder of two persons, belonging to the Thevar community on October 30,when they were on way to perform 'Gurupooja' at the memorial of Muthuramalinga Thevar, police said.