Dalit stabbed to death in Ramanathapuram
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Tension prevailed at Ponniapuram village in Ramanathapuram district after a dalit was stabbed to death by some unidentified persons late last night, police said today.
The body of the 38-year-old man was found among some bushes this morning, police said.
The district earlier this month had witnessed violence after three persons belonging to the Thevar community were murdered near Paramakudi on October 30 during the 105th birth anniversary celebrations of freedom fighter and Thevar community icon Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar.
Police did not rule out the murder to be a case of retaliation by the Thevar community people,to avenge the three murders,sources said.
Police said armed police personnel had been dispatched to monitor the situation close in and around Paramakudi.
Two Head constables have been placed under suspension for remaining mute spectators to the murder of two persons, belonging to the Thevar community on October 30,when they were on way to perform 'Gurupooja' at the memorial of Muthuramalinga Thevar, police said.
Three persons, including a van driver, were hacked to death at Pambuvizhundan on Oct30.