Dalit stabbed to death in Ramanathapuram
- Dal crisis: Centre blames states for not acting against hoarders; raids recover 36000 tonnes
- Dalit killings: Khattar orders CBI probe, Opposition targets Centre
- Sena poster shows PM Modi bowing before Bal Thackeray, taken down
- Holy book desecration: BSF deployed in Punjab, protests continue
- North Indians enjoy breaking rules: Kiren Rijiju agrees with former Delhi LG
Tension prevailed at Ponniapuram village in Ramanathapuram district after a dalit was stabbed to death by some unidentified persons late last night, police said today.
The body of the 38-year-old man was found among some bushes this morning, police said.
The district earlier this month had witnessed violence after three persons belonging to the Thevar community were murdered near Paramakudi on October 30 during the 105th birth anniversary celebrations of freedom fighter and Thevar community icon Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar.
Police did not rule out the murder to be a case of retaliation by the Thevar community people,to avenge the three murders,sources said.
Police said armed police personnel had been dispatched to monitor the situation close in and around Paramakudi.
Two Head constables have been placed under suspension for remaining mute spectators to the murder of two persons, belonging to the Thevar community on October 30,when they were on way to perform 'Gurupooja' at the memorial of Muthuramalinga Thevar, police said.