Dalit student hacked to death
- GMR pilots skip medical tests before flying Rahul Gandhi, to be grounded
- Supreme Court recognises third gender, glimmer of hope for gays
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Train derails in Assam, at least 50 passengers injured
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia Gandhi to address first poll rally in Telangana today
A Dalit engineering student, recently booked in an eve teasing case, was tonight hacked to death by a gang near here, police said. J Diwakar of Morappanar village, a second year student of a private engineering college here, was returning home in a bus when the gang members forced him to get down near his village
and hacked him to death, they said. He was allegedly involved in teasing a girl of another caste recently which resulted in a clash between two groups.
A case had been registered against him. His murder is suspected to be a fallout of the clash. Protesting the killing of Diwakar, villagers blocked the Tiruneveli-Tuticorin road for two hours. They dispersed after police pacified them and assured that the culprits would be arrested.