Dalits, caste Hindus clash in Cuddalore
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- N Srinivasan faces serious charges, canât return until probe: Supreme Court
- Kolkata Knight Riders seal opener in comprehensive fashion
Tension prevailed in Cuddalore district on Tuesday after members of a Scheduled Caste Community and caste Hindus clashed this morning. A few huts of Dalit families were ransacked and set on fire.
Police said trouble began when a girl belonging to a Hindu community was allegedly taunted by a Dalit youth in Pacharapalayam village in Cuddalore. The girl's relatives and others took on the Dalit families in the area and a clash ensued. A few people on both sides suffered minor injuries.
The incident sparked protests from various Dalit outfits who alleged the caste Hindus were attacking Dalits after failing to come to terms their rise through education and employment.
- Candidates’ wives prefer to be known by husband’s nickname
- A year on, ‘serial molester’ in police net
- Raakhi Birla’s road show fails to stir locals
- Rights panel bars school from forcing out student for ‘misbehaviour’
- Force India out to prove podium was no fluke
- Mohali openers involved in record 587-run partnership