Dance workouts come with ethnic twist, martial arts kick
- Gujarat CM: Nitin Patel's name to be announced at 4 pm, has PM backing
- Lockheed Martin will shift fighter aircraft's production line to India, but with a condition
- I had not gone to Pakistan to have lunch: Rajnath Singh in Rajya Sabha
- GST Bill to be introduced in Lok Sabha on August 8 for ratification
- BJP looks for new CM for Gujarat, Patels flex muscles
Group fitness classes are taking an ethnic turn, experts say, celebrating diversity by reaching across cultures for inspiration and combining diverse disciplines to keep workouts fresh and exercisers inspired.
First there was Zumba, the Latin-based dance craze, then Capoeira, a Brazilian blend of martial arts and dance said to have originated with 16th century slaves.
Tabura, a high-energy class that pairs West African dance moves with military-style punching, jabbing and kickboxing drills, is one of the newer hybrids.
"I\'m excited to see fitness embrace our American cultural diversity and bring benefits of Latin dance like Zumba or African dance like Tabura with martial arts from Asia into the mainstream," said Shirley Archer, an American Council on Exercise spokesperson.
Dance fitness classes provide a aerobic workout that can improve heart health, burn calories and fat and improve mood and endurance, according to Archer, a fitness and wellness expert based in Singer Island, Florida.
Reign Hudson, a fitness instructor at Crunch in New York City, said she created Tabura, which means drill and endurance in Swahili, by fusing her two passions.
"I\'d taught West African dance, and then I got certified in tae bo," she said, referring to the blend of aerobics and martial arts exercises developed by American Billy Blanks.
"Those were my two favorite classes so I decided to bring them together."
The class, which is fired by live conga and junjun drums or African house music, provides a cardio workout and toning. It also includes stretching, intervals of dance and drills, leg work and running in place.
West African dance is about storytelling, Hudson explained, and different dances have different names and action. A dance called Cuckoo is performed to celebrate a wedding or birthday.
Archer explained that integrating kicks and knee lifts can increase the toning effects for the muscles of the lower body, while punches and blocks tone the upper body.
- Rio Olympics: Yet again, India has managed to look disheveled
- The ecosystem created by GST will facilitate manufacturing hubs
- The problem is not the home minister’s SAARC visit. It is the lack of reflection within
- The incentive to dope
- GST is one of the boldest reforms in post-Independence India
- Like Atal, Advani, Somnath