Dates of IYC elections announced
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The Indian Youth Congress (IYC), the youth wing of the Congress party on Monday announced the election schedule for the central zone of Uttar Pradesh. In the first stage, elections will be held at the booth level, for which nominations are to be filed on February 22 from 9 am to 5 pm. On February 23, the nominations will be scrutinised and election symbols will be allotted, which is to be followed by voting on February 25, 26 and 27. The voting will take place between 8am and 3pm. The votes will be counted on the same day as the voting and results will be uploaded on the IYC website.
Although the schedule for the second stage - elections for 131 Vidhan Sabhas, 26 Lok Sabhas and the state unit (central UP) - has not been announced, state Returning Officer Kunal Banerjee said that nominations for the same will be invited in the first week of March and 5-6 days will be allotted for campaigning. "We expect to finish the election process by March 20," he said. As three Lok Sabha president seats are reserved for SC/STs, a lucky draw to decide the same will also be held on February 20, he said.
- Telangana turmoil likely in Parliament; PM says opposition to bill are hiccups, BJP to take call as per â€˜situationâ€™
- LIVE: Narendra Modi addresses first rally in Mamataâ€™sÂ turf
- Jan Lokpal Bill divides AAP and Cong, threatens Delhi govt
- Chidambaram counters Kejriwal over khap panchayat issue, says such bodies not part of IndianÂ culture