Dates of IYC elections announced
- L-G Najeeb Jung's 'I am the govt' remark laughable, acting at PM's behest: Arvind Kejriwal
- Robert Vadra's Facebook post triggers BJP, Congress clash; House adjourned
- Scolded by Sonia, Shashi Tharoor gets praise from PM Modi
- RK Pachauri asked to step down, Ajay Mathur is new TERI chief
- PM's credibility declining, no discussion until Sushma steps down: Rahul
The Indian Youth Congress (IYC), the youth wing of the Congress party on Monday announced the election schedule for the central zone of Uttar Pradesh. In the first stage, elections will be held at the booth level, for which nominations are to be filed on February 22 from 9 am to 5 pm. On February 23, the nominations will be scrutinised and election symbols will be allotted, which is to be followed by voting on February 25, 26 and 27. The voting will take place between 8am and 3pm. The votes will be counted on the same day as the voting and results will be uploaded on the IYC website.
Although the schedule for the second stage - elections for 131 Vidhan Sabhas, 26 Lok Sabhas and the state unit (central UP) - has not been announced, state Returning Officer Kunal Banerjee said that nominations for the same will be invited in the first week of March and 5-6 days will be allotted for campaigning. "We expect to finish the election process by March 20," he said. As three Lok Sabha president seats are reserved for SC/STs, a lucky draw to decide the same will also be held on February 20, he said.