David Warner's act despicable, team also to blame: Aus board chief
- Kumar Vishwas claims threat to life, to file FIR against Rahul and Priyanka
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 2 States movie review: Alia Bhatt is a surprise
David Warner is lucky to be available for Ashes selection and the batsman's attack on England's Joe Root was "despicable", according to Australian cricket board chief James Sutherland.
Sutherland also said Warner's team mates should be held to account for being out drinking with the opener at the Birmingham pub in the early hours of Sunday morning.
"David Warner has done a despicable thing but I also hold the team into account here," Cricket Australia chief Sutherland told reporters in Brisbane on Friday. "There were other people there with him and those who were there need to take account of that and so does the team as a whole as well.
"There's not a lot that is good that happens at 2.30 in the morning at a pub or a nightclub."
Warner issued an apology on Thursday after being suspended until the first Ashes test on July 10 and fined A$11,500 for his part in the incident, which occurred early on Sunday.
British media reported that the "unprovoked physical attack", in the words of the England and Wales Cricket Board, was triggered by Root wearing a fancy dress wig in Australia's green-and-gold colours as a beard.
Warner is alleged to have tried to grab the beard and then swung a punch before other players intervened.
Cricket Australia said Warner would miss the rest of the ongoing Champions Trophy and Australia's two tour matches against Somerset and Worcestershire before the Ashes after pleading guilty to breaching their rule on 'unbecoming behaviour'.
The left-hander, once touted as a possible test vice captain to replace Shane Watson after the burly all rounder stepped down from the post earlier this year, was also fined A$5,750 last month for a Twitter outburst against two Australian journalists.
"I think he's very lucky," Sutherland said of Warner's availability for the Ashes. "It could have been a lot worse, couldn't it? What counts is his actions going forward in the future and we're watching those very closely.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer