Dawn fire kills 20 in Kolkata
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Kolkata relived the horrors of the AMRI hospital and Stephen Court fires after a devastating blaze in a wholesale paper and plastic products market in the heart of the city killed at least 20 people on Wednesday.
Thick, black smoke from the pre-dawn fire swirled through two floors of a six-storey building on Surya Sen Street close to Sealdah station in central Kolkata, suffocating traders and shopworkers sleeping in the corridors lined with tens of stalls and small shops stacked high with plastic plates and cutlery, and paper and thermocol products used in weddings or festivals.
The building, which came up in 1995, was illegal, and Kolkata Municipal Corporation had demolished parts of it earlier. It had no fire-fighting equipment and only one entry and exit — a staircase that was filled with smoke. Four people were rescued alive and taken to hospital. One woman was among the dead.
According to police, the Fire Brigade and area residents, the fire started at 3.20 am, probably after a refrigerator burst into flames following an electrical short-circuit. It fed on inflammable material, chemicals and over 50 cooking gas cylinders as it raced through the mezannine and first floors of the building, and burnt for about 10 hours.
The fire comes a little over a year after over 90 people — mostly hospital patients — suffocated following the AMRI blaze of December 2011. Earlier, in March 2010, 43 people died after a fire broke out in the 150-year-old Stephen Court building on Park Street.
Area resident Mohammed Imran said he saw smoke coming out of windows around 3.30 am. He said he tried to enter the house but failed, and could see bodies on the mezzanine floor. The police and Fire Brigade reached at 4.40 am, he said.
Police have registered a case of criminal negligence against the owners of the building, some of whom were said to be absconding. The fire and disaster management department has been asked to inquire into the cause of the fire and submit a report to the government within three days.