Day after NGO chief ends life over rape charge, Delhi Police sends team to trace complainant
- Live: N Srinivasan agrees to 'step aside'; Supreme Court wants Sunil Gavaskar to head BCCI for now
- Modi takes 'Jayanthi tax' jibe at Congress, tears into its manifesto
- Days before Yasin Bhatkal was arrested, it was Monu who âdeliveredâ Rs 1 lakh cash to his wife
- Switzerland not sharing info on bank accounts of Indians: P Chidambaram
- Election 2014 LIVE: Modi causing stampede, exodus in BJP, says Lalu
A day after the executive director of a Delhi NGO allegedly committed suicide following charges of rape against him, police sent a team to the complainant's hometown to record her statement.
On Wednesday, Khurshid Anwar, executive director of the Institute for Social Democracy, allegedly jumped from the fourth floor of an apartment block in Vasant Kunj, south Delhi. The 55-year-old had been named in a rape FIR, registered at the Vasant Kunj (North) police station on the basis of a complaint forwarded to the police by the National Commission for Women.
The complainant works for a different NGO and had met Anwar when protests were being staged over the Muzaffarnagar riots, police said. She alleged that Anwar raped her on September 12 after inviting her home for a party. In her complaint, she alleged that Anwar spiked her drink and assaulted her after she passed out.
Her statement was videotaped in the office of activist Madhu Kishwar. The matter was then referred to the National Commission for Women which forwarded it to the Vasant Kunj (North) police station on December 17.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) B S Jaiswal said: "A team has been sent to the complainant's hometown. We will need her statement to proceed with the case. We can proceed with the investigations only after we record her statement." On Anwar's death, Jaiswal said: "Prima facie, it is a case of suicide."
Police came across a note Anwar had keyed into his computer. There was a reference to the September incident: "...woh din yaad aata hai... yaad karta hoon... (I remember the day)... Why is (she) doing this? Why is she involving me in rape? I was trying to contact her... but couldn't contact her."
Police said the note was probably written a day before Anwar took his own life.
- Green chilli, chappals and stethoscope among 85 free symbols for Independent candidates
- Politicking peaks to new high in Maval: 3 Jagtaps, 2 Barnes jump into fray
- After Chavan’s pep talk, sulking Nimhan joins Cong-NCP poll campaign
- Keep country free of communalism, BJP and Modi: Pawar to voters
- I-League: Mehta goal keeps East Bengal at bay
- The Covered Girl