Day after NGO chief ends life over rape charge, police send team to trace woman who alleged rape
- 'Shahzada' and 'Matashree' are only concerned about being in power, says Modi; Sonia harps on secularism
- Supreme Court commutes death penalty of Devinderpal Singh Bhullar to life term
- Arun Jaitley rules out Modi's apology on 2002 Gujarat riots
- Former Pak President Pervez Musharraf indicted in treason case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi accuses the Congress of misusing money in Arunachal; Kejriwal to meet L-G Najeeb Jung
A day after the executive director of a Delhi NGO allegedly committed suicide following charges of rape against him, police sent a team to the complainant's hometown to record her statement.
On Wednesday, Khurshid Anwar, executive director of the Institute for Social Democracy(ISD), allegedly jumped from the fourth floor of an apartment block in Vasant Kunj, South Delhi. The 55-year-old had been named in a rape FIR, registered at the Vasant Kunj (North) police station on the basis of a complaint forwarded to the police by the National Commission for Women (NCW).
The complainant works for a different NGO and had met Anwar when protests were being staged over the Muzaffarnagar riots, police said. She alleged that Anwar raped her on September 12 after inviting her home for a party. In her complaint, she alleged that Anwar spiked her drink and assaulted her after she passed out.
Her statement was videotaped in the office of activist Madhu Kishwar. The matter was then referred to the NCW, which forwarded it to the Vasant Kunj (North) police station on December 17.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) B S Jaiswal said: "A team has been sent to the complainant's hometown. We will need her statement to proceed with the case. We can proceed with the investigations only after we record her statement."
On Anwar's death, Jaiswal said: "Prima facie, it is a case of suicide."
Police came across a note Anwar had keyed into his computer. There was a reference to the September incident: "...woh din yaad aata hai... yaad karta hoon... (I remember the day)... Why is (she) doing this? Why is she involving me in rape? I was trying to contact her... but couldn't contact her."
Police said the note was probably written a day before Anwar took his life.
- AAP nominee against Khurshid quits, claims corruption in party
- MP: Sushma Swaraj, Kamal Nath, Jyotiraditya Scindia among heavyweights in LS poll ring
- Watching TV tied to poor snacking habits, heart disease risk
- Jaswant Singh complains against Vasundhara Raje; poll authorities dismiss it
- Nilekani squandered national resources to US firm: Swamy
- Autonomy: CBI chief says don’t view our demand with suspicion