Dead TMC worker’s wife says party MLA behind murder
- Arvind Kejriwal lands in Mumbai; takes auto to board local train
- Sahara group moves Supreme Court, seeks immediate release of Subrata Roy
- President not for executing Devinderpal Singh Bhullar, MHA disagrees
- Chhattisgarh: Maoists kill 15 security personnel in biggest attack in 3 years
- Malaysia asks India to join search for missing plane
A day after a Trinamool Congress worker was killed allegedly in police custody, his wife Manuja Begum claimed that some powerful TMC leaders, including TMC MLA Ashima Patra, have conspired with the police to kill her husband.
TMC MLA of Dhaniakhali Ashima Patra, however, could not be contacted after several attempts.
Begum said she said she will meet Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and will narrate to her the entire incident.
TMC zilla sabhapati Tapan Dasgupta said they would meet TMC general secretary Mukul Roy on Monday to discuss the issue.
On Saturday, Kazi Naseeruddin, a local Trinamool leader, who was arrested on Friday, reportedly died in police custody at the Dhaniakhali police station.
According to Sabeer Ali, a relative of the victim and a Trinamool leader, he saw Naseeruddin lying naked and motionless, surrounded by several policemen, when he went to the station during the day. He said both of them had a heated argument with police constable Amit Dey and after that Naseeruddin died in the police cell.
After the news of Naseeruddin's death spread, people came out on the streets protesting the incident. A large number of police personnel had to be deployed to control the situation.
Superintendent of Police Tanmay Roychaudhury said an FIR had been registered and investigations were on. "Whether the death was caused due to beating or not can only be ascertained after the post mortem examination," he said, adding that several police personnel were also injured in the violence.
State Congress spokesman Abdul Mannan alleged that it was a "pre-meditated" murder. "Naseeruddin was disillusioned with the Trinamool and was thinking of quitting it. He has been killed in a pre-planned manner by his own party men," Manna claimed.
On the other hand, MLA Ashima Patra admitted that the victim was an active party worker and said she had asked the police to conduct an impartial investigation.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held