Death toll in China landslide rises to 46
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuels fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- UP BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
The death toll in a landslide that hit a village in southwest China's Yunnan Province rose to 46 after the body of the last missing person was retrieved from the mud-inundated debris today morning.
Around 1000 rescuers in orange jumpsuits, using construction machinery, retrieved the victims after digging for nearly 24 hours through a massive piles of mud and earth.
The landslide hit the Zhaojiagou area of Gaopo Village around 8 am, yesterday.
Forty-six residents -- 27 adults and 19 children – were buried in the rock and mud debris.
Two other injured people were sent to a nearby hospital, and it has been confirmed that their injuries are not life-threatening, state-run Xinhua reported.
Chinese leaders Xi Jinping, Wen Jiabao and Li Keqiang have ordered all-out efforts to rescue victims of the landslide in order to minimize casualties from the disaster.
Xi, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, said efforts must be made to resettle affected residents, prevent secondary disasters and successfully complete relief work so as to ensure stability, the agency report said.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress