Declare Bengal rape-prone state: BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri, says communal harmony will take country forward
- Mobile internet services cut in Jammu after recovery of cows' carcasses
- Volkswagen recalls 389 units of Polo model in India
- Air Force plans for women to fight wars: will they fly in the face of conventional non-combat roles?
- After Mumbai, Ghulam Ali's concert in Pune cancelled following Shiv Sena protest
The state BJP has written to the governor suggesting that West Bengal be declared a rape-prone state.
"West Bengal is number one in the country in terms of crime against women and 16th in terms of bringing offenders to book. Together, this sends a very wrong message to criminals. The way ministers are trying to dilute the seriousness of the criminal activities is even more dangerous. So if the state is declared rape-prone, the government and police authorities might be prodded into doing something about it," said state BJP president Rahul Sinha. Referring to the recent remarks made by Trinamool Congress leaders like Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar, Sonali Guha and Firhad Hakim, Sinha said, "Since the chief minister has taken everything in her hands, these ministers have no work to do and so they make these mindless comments."
SUCI leaders protest outside Raj Bhavan
Kolkata: SUCI leaders led by MLA of SUCI Tarun Naskar on Monday protested outside Raj Bhawan against the death of the Delhi gangrape victim, who died on Saturday at a Singapore hospital. About 31 people were arrested for creating a ruckus outside Raj Bhavan by organising the rally.
Section 354 should be non-bailable: WBHRC