Declare Bengal rape-prone state: BJP
- Espionage racket with ISI links busted in Jammu, Kolkata; BSF jawan among five arrested
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to attend UN climate summit
- Nepal releases 13 SSB personnel after brief detention
- Turkey to hand over body of dead Russian pilot to Moscow: PM
- Bhushan challenges Kejriwal for public debate on Lokpal Bill
The state BJP has written to the governor suggesting that West Bengal be declared a rape-prone state.
"West Bengal is number one in the country in terms of crime against women and 16th in terms of bringing offenders to book. Together, this sends a very wrong message to criminals. The way ministers are trying to dilute the seriousness of the criminal activities is even more dangerous. So if the state is declared rape-prone, the government and police authorities might be prodded into doing something about it," said state BJP president Rahul Sinha. Referring to the recent remarks made by Trinamool Congress leaders like Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar, Sonali Guha and Firhad Hakim, Sinha said, "Since the chief minister has taken everything in her hands, these ministers have no work to do and so they make these mindless comments."
SUCI leaders protest outside Raj Bhavan
Kolkata: SUCI leaders led by MLA of SUCI Tarun Naskar on Monday protested outside Raj Bhawan against the death of the Delhi gangrape victim, who died on Saturday at a Singapore hospital. About 31 people were arrested for creating a ruckus outside Raj Bhavan by organising the rally.
Section 354 should be non-bailable: WBHRC
- Ahead of the Paris summit, India has been again targeted as a spoiler
- Shunning coal not viable for India; World needs to come together to make it cleaner
- Detained at IFFI: You can chain our hands, but you can't choke our voices
- How 'secular', 'socialist' came to be part of Constitution, and why they remain
- Next door Nepal: Blaming the neighbour
- True economic reform is one that makes a clean break from the past