Dedicate 2013 to improving women's safety: Pranab Mukherjee
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Glen Maxwell plays another blinder, leads KXIP to stunning win
The brutal gangrape of a girl in the national capital was the focus of President Pranab Mukherjee's New Year message which called for dedicating 2013 for improving security and welfare of women in the country and addressing the mindset which is at the root of such incidents.
In a touching message today, the President said "We mark the advent of the New Year under a pall of gloom, as the nation mourns the tragic loss of a brave young girl who became the victim of a heinous crime."
He asked the people to dedicate 2013 to improving the security and welfare of women in our country.
"Let us use this moment to introspect and earnestly seek ways in which we can address the mindset which lies at the root of such incidents in order that we may achieve dignity and equality for women in our country," he said.
Extending his wishes for a purposeful and productive New year, the President said "Let us strive hard to fulfill our unrealized dreams with vigour and determination."
- One card for Metro, DTC and cluster buses gets Lt-Governor’s green light
- Tech graduate shoots at man ‘talking loudly’
- Gun attack kills 3 in eastern Ukraine, breaks Easter truce
- ED acting at behest of PC: Bengal govt
- Delhi policemen beaten up in Pataudi village
- J&K cops leave poll staff ‘stuck in snow, fly away with EVMs’