Deepender Singh Hooda FDI speech churns Facebook frenzy
- Mali hostage crisis ends as security forces gun down militants; 27 killed
- Sheena Bora case: Peter charged with murder, criminal conspiracy
- Nitish Kumar sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister; Lalu's sons in Cabinet
- UP keeps its distance from Bihar: Why Mulayam, Akhilesh didn't attend Nitish swearing-in
- Madras HC stays cancellation of Greenpeace India registration
A FAVOURITE story of a recently retired air chief used to be how the Air House, the official residence of the Air Force chief, was shifted from near the residences of the Army chief and Navy chief on Rajaji Marg. Apparently, during the British times, one of the occupants of the Air House had an affair with the wife of another service chief, following which the residence of the Air Chief was shifted to Akbar Road. The story, whether true or not, brought a certain indignity to the Air House. The current Air Chief, N A K Browne, however, is having an enjoyable stint in that residence. Months after he moved in last year, his son's wedding took place, with functions being held at the sprawling bungalow. On Friday, his daughter too is tying the knot. Several bigwigs have been called and are expected to attend the wedding, including the top political leadership of the nation.
THE BJP has taken its opposition to FDI in multi-brand retail sector quite seriously, notwithstanding the defeat it faced in the Parliament vote on this issue. It has published a booklet of speeches by its leaders in Parliament — Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Murli Manohar Joshi and M Venkaiah Naidu — during the debate. The booklet is being circulated among MPs and leaders of other parties. However, not many are sure about the political purpose that this exercise will serve.