Defence diary: Madras Sappers Day celebrated
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
Madras Sappers Day celebrated
More than 300 serving and retired 'Thambi Sappers' with their families assembled at the College of Military Engineering (CME) to celebrate the Madras Sappers Officers Association Day (MSOA) which was attended by the seniormost Madras Sapper of Pune station,Lt Gen (retd) B T Pandit and a host of Madras Sapper veterans. Lt Gen S Sengupta, Commandant, CME, who is the Colonel Commandant of the Madras Sappers, hailed this spirit of bonhomie and said, "Thambis are arguably the best soldiers, a claim well supported by endless stories of valour and courage." The MSOA Day was first mooted by the British officers who bid farewell to the Group in 1947 as the way of keeping in touch with the Thambis. It was decided to hold it on September 30 to commemorate the Raising Day of the group.
Cadets to join Mutha clean up drive
Cadets and officers of the National Defence Academy will join hands with students and teachers from Kendriya Vidyalaya, NDA and Aruna Choudhury Madhyamik to conduct a clean up drive of Mutha River in the vicinity of Khadakwasla dam on October 5. This clean up operation will be conducted under the aegis of the Indian Maritime Foundation and is conducted every year to preserve the water source and sensitise the population around the dam to keep the environment clean.
Recruitment of sailors at INS Shivaji
Recruitment of sailors in Indian Navy as Senior Secondary Recruit (SSR) for 01/2012 batch was conducted at INS Shivaji, Lonavla on September 27 and 28. 500 candidates appeared for this recruitment examination on each day. This recruitment process is conducted twice a year all over the country and it involves a series of tests including the written examination, the physical fitness test and finally the medical examination. The candidates who qualified the written examination underwent a Physical Fitness Test (PFT) and then the medical examination.
- Khushpreet murder: Court holds 3 accused guilty
- Youth shot at, bullet still lodged in body
- Anti-incumbency strong, Akali SOS to BJP: send Modi
- Ahmedabad ‘dressmaker’ has designs on Modi’s style
- RSS launches statewide campaign for 100% turnout, no mention of Modi
- Movie on Modi released statewide, Cong cries foul