Dehu Road cantonment to get funds under JNNURM
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- Top General speaks on 2012 troop movement: "Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly"
- âTroop movement shouldâve been avoided if they knew (V K Singhâs) court dateâ
- The 2012 troop movement investigations
- India slams Pakistan for allowing Masood Azhar to spew venom
In a bid to help raise the infrastructure in cantonments in Pune district, the Centre has for the first time extended the flagship scheme of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) to the Dehu Road Cantonment area.
Encouraged by this, the neighboring Khadki Cantonment Board (KCB) which has been seeking the implementation of the scheme in its area. It will approach the Defence Ministry to help it get the funds under the programme.
DCB officials said they recently received the communication from Defence Ministry about the inclusion of the board area in the JNNURM. The board will shortly hire a consultancy and work out the plans for development of sewerage system within the cantonment area.
The project will be submitted through the Defence Ministry to the state and central governments for funding, said an official. He added that under the mission, the DCB will bear 20 per cent cost of the project, 30 per cent funds will come from the state and 50 per cent will be contributed by the Centre.
DCB office superintendent N M Mahajani said the board will construct sewerage system under the JNNURM to ensure that sewage disposal is done scientifically. "There is a gamut of works that can be taken up under the JNNURM, like construction of roads and bridges, but we have decided to set up the sewerage disposal facility as the cantonment sewage currently disposed of into water bodies and nullahs."
KCB executive engineer Arun G Godbole said they will work out projects after the board is also covered under JNNURM. The issue has been taken up with the Defence Ministry officials by the elected members from time to time and the memorandums in this regard have also been moved with the Southern Command.
KCB member S L Kamble said the board has for long been demanding that JNNURM to be extended to it. "In 2008, we passed a resolution seeking that the mission be extended to the cantonment area. As of now, it is only the neighboring Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) which carries out work under JNNURM in some cantonment area."
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly