Delhi Assembly polls: Battle lines drawn, 'star' leaders to hit the campaign trail
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
With the nominations drawing to a close on Saturday, political parties are all set to hit raise the campaign pitch.
Over the next two weeks, the capital will witness huge rallies by the two major political parties which will be addressed by their respective 'star campaigners'.
On Sunday, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi will address a rally at Dakshinpuri. This will be followed by rallies addressed by party chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"Rahul Gandhi will address a rally in Dakshinpuri, at Virat Cinema grounds on Sunday. Rallies will be organised in all corners of Delhi. Sonia Gandhi will address a rally in East Delhi at Shastri Park on November 24 and the PM will also address a rally in Delhi soon,'' Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said.
The PM is expected to address a rally on November 27. According to the party sources, apart from these "star campaigners", all MLAs too will intensify campaigning in their areas.
"Senior party leaders including our chief Minister are the star campaigners for us,'' said minister Arvinder Singh.
The Congress is planning to release its manifesto on Wednesday. "We will be unveiling our party manifesto in November 20,'' Dikshit said.
Not to be outdone, the BJP too is planning a series of rallies in the capital. Apart from the party's star campaigner and PM candidate Narendra Modi, the rallies will also feature senior leaders such as Rajnath Singh, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Murli Manohar Joshi, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Uma Bharti, Balbir Singh and Varun Gandhi. Also in attendance will be actors Vinod Khanna and Smriti Irani.
The party is yet to decide on areas where their rallies will be organised. "The dates for the rallies have been decided but we are still trying to work out the venues. Several senior leaders will come out in support of our MLAs,'' a BJP party member said.
- School kids ‘adopt’ spotted deer at Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- Jain trust gets HC caveat to ordain minor as sadhu
- Time to help Zaheer make the decision: Prasad
- BMC in a ‘tearing’ hurry as poll code kicks in
- Two men shot at in Tilak Nagar, different versions puzzle police
- Shami makes most of lively wicket
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express