Delhi gangrape case: In-camera trial to begin today
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
The in-camera trial of the December 16 gang rape-cum-murder case of a 23-year-old medical student will begin today.
All five accused in the case will be produced in the court. Also, the name of the defence lawyers for the accused would be announced today.
The court had on Monday ordered an in-camera trial and restrained media from publishing the proceedings.
Three of the five accused in the case will plead not guilty to the charges and claim trial, advocates seeking to represent them said on Tuesday.
Advocate ML Sharma, who appeared in the Metropolitan Magistrate''s court on Monday and offered to defend the accused amidst protests from the Saket bar, has been engaged by prime accused Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh Singh and Akshay Kumar Singh alias Thakur.
The court had earlier took cognisance of the chargesheet against the five accused under Sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 395 (dacoity), 396 (murder in dacoity), 394 (hurting in dacoity), 201 (destruction of evidence), 120-B (conspiracy), 34 (common intention) and 412 (dishonestly receiving stolen property) of the IPC.
The sixth accused, who claims that he is 17, will be presented before a Juvenile Justice Board, which has already summoned his school principal to determine his exact age.
According to law, if school documents establish a minor''s age as genuine, the juvenile will not be put through a medical test to confirm his age. The Delhi Police is reportedly keen for the minor to be put through a bone test to check his age.
If the controversy over his age is not resolved, then he could be directed to undergo a bone ossification test, which can provide the approximate age of the accused.
The victim''s father has demanded that the juvenile should be hanged like the other five accused.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today