Delhi gangrape case: Police returns with 'vital' information about accused Akshay Thakur
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
The Delhi police team, that came here in search of Akshay Thakur, an accused in Delhi gangrape case, returned today with "vital" information about the fugitive.
Aurangabad acting superintendent of police Pranav Kumar said that the Delhi police team rigorously questioned the father and brother of the accused, who hails from Lahankarma village of the district and is about 125 km from Patna, before returning to the national capital today.
The SP said that though the accused could not be caught, the police team has collected "vital" information which will help catch him soon.
The accused's father Saryu Singh and younger brother Abhay Singh were detained by the police and rigorously questioned at Tandwa police station last evening. They were later released, the SP said.
Meanwhile, residents of the village expressed deep anguish over what they felt was maligning of the name of the village by Thakur, the fifth accused in the gangrape of the girl in the national capital in a moving bus on Sunday.
Many of them even sought death sentence for Thakur for the barbaric act.
A stoic silence prevailed in Thakur's home which was broken time to time by cries of women of the family.
Thakur, son of a marginal farmer, studied in government school at Tandwa till matriculation before leaving for Chhattisgarh to work in some brew factory. He had landed in Delhi a year ago, the locals said.
Lallan Ram, JD(U) MLA of Kutumba in the district, said the incident was extremely condemnable and has soiled the name of Aurangabad.
Rajendra Chaudhary, the mukhiya (head) of Ramnagar panchayat under which Lahankarma village falls, said Akshay Thakur had put a blot on the name of the village and demanded stringent punishment to him for being involved in the heinous crime.
Sarpanch Arvind Paswan too expressed grief over the involvement of a resident of the village in the gang rape.
- Terror accused wrongly jailed for 14 yrs, NHRC notices to Home Ministry, police
- SP hints no candidates against Sonia, Rahul
- In Hills, BJP gains GJM edge
- Delhi Police forms patrol teams to check pick-pocketing in Metro
- Two months to go and EC receives myriad complaints
- Maharashtra hailstorm hits crop worth Rs 5,000 cr
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress