Delhi gangrape case: Protesters observe black-day
- Shakti Mills gangrape: Mumbai court sentences four convicts to life imprisonment
- Thank the Lord he is dead, this son of a gun: Thatâs a lift from the epitaph Khushwant Singh wrote for himself
- âCredible sightingsâ in ocean offer âbest leadâ yet on missing plane
- After Advani, itâs Jaswant sulking now
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi is not a symbol of fear, says BJP; HC seeks AAP registration details
Demonstrations against the gangrape incident continued on the third day of the new year at Jantar Mantar with protesters observing a "black day".
Students from various schools and colleges gathered to express their outrage even though a bandh called by protesters failed to evoke much response today.
"What is happening in our country is actually demonic. After the December 16 incident, many other rape cases have been reported. We are observing a 'black day' in order to find a solution for this," said Akshay Ohri, a student who came to Jantar Mantar for the protest.
Protestors held placards displaying slogans like 'Call joint Parliamentary session to make tougher laws for rape and sexual exploitation and implement effectively' and 'A protest against not just one crime but against a mentality'.
"We are protesting here against the increasing crimes against women in our country," said Satyavir Singh, a protestor from Aligarh.
He said increasing availability and consumption of alcohol is also a factor responsible for rising crimes against women, he said.
Another protestor Rajesh Gaghwan, who is on fast for past 11 days at Jantar Mantar, said "We will continue our fight till justice is granted."
But for some like Sandeep Arora - a businessman -- these protests were losing sheen.
"I feel that these protests will diminish in a few days," he said.
- Son Karti replaces Chidambaram in Sivaganga
- Uneasy NDA vs struggling INLD and Cong, with AAP thrown in
- BJP has a Tamil Nadu front, if the allies do stick together
- Kapil Sibal files papers, says no Modi wave in Chandni Chowk
- RSS gives L K Advani illusion of choice
- Nandan Nilekani, wife declare assets worth Rs 7,700 cr