Delhi gangrape case: Sonia Gandhi, PM say guilty will not be spared
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Assuring best possible medical care to the Delhi gangrape victim, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said that Government was committed to bringing the perpetrators to justice as soon as possible even as Congress President Sonia Gandhi stressed that no time should be lost in punishing them.
Gandhi, in her first public reaction on the incident, skipped wishing New Year greetings, saying "...Not so today because our thoughts are with the young woman, who is fighting for her life after the barbarous attack".
She added "our only wish today is that she recovers and comes back to us and that no time is lost in bringing the perpetrators of such a barbarous act to justice".
Gandhi was responding to questions after unfurling the party flag at the AICC headquarters to mark the completion of 127 years of the since its formation.
The Prime Minister, who stood by her side, also addressed the media saying, "We share the anguish and the anger of the country over this heinous crime".
Describing the victim, who is currently under treatment in a hospital in Singapore, as a "brave young girl", Singh said that best possible medical care is being provided to her.
"Our prayers are with the brave young girl," he said.
Singh pointed out that the government has constituted two committees under Justice J S Verma and Justice Usha Mehra to to suggest ways and means of modification in laws related to crimes against women and to look into lapses on anybody's part in dealing with the aftermath of this crisis respectively.
"So you have my assurance that our government is committed to bringing the guilty to justice as soon as possible," the Prime Minister said.
Gandhi also held a meeting at the party headquarters with Singh, senior ministers and leaders including Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit, where the issue is learnt to have come up.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment