Delhi gangrape effect: Union Minister apologises for violent police action against protesters
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
Hours after police crackdown on students protesting against the Delhi gangrape, Minister of State for Home R P N Singh tonight apologised to those who were injured during the clashes but said the police action came due to the violence perpetrated by "lumpen elements".
Singh said there was no reason for the students to continue the protests as government accepted all their demands including putting the case in a fast track court and carrying out day-to-day hearing.
"I apologise to all those who injured in police action today. We did not want police beating our own students. But the police action came as some lumpen elements indulged in violence. Anti-social elements were involved in the violence," he told reporters here.
The Minister said 99 per cent students were protesting peacefully and just one per cent were indulging in violence which led to the police crackdown in India Gate and its surrounding areas.
"I assure you that the culprits involved in Delhi case will be punished. They will not get away. Not only in this case, in all rape cases anywhere in India, we are taking action," he said.
Asked whether action will be taken against the Delhi Police Commissioner or any other senior police officer, Singh said "if there is any lapse, we will take strictest action against any police officer, no matter how senior he is."
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer