Delhi Gangrape: Judges suggest 'lawyers boycott' for speedy trial
- Election Live: Narendra Modi addresses rally in Purnia, attacks Third Front
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
Justice Mehra said, "If the lawyers have decided not to appear for the accused in this case, we cannot force them.
"This is the time when the sessions judge trying the case will exercise his discretion to either appoint an amicus curiae or ask Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DLSA) to provide legal aid to the accused."
Condoling the demise of Delhi gangrape victim, Chairman of Bar Council of Delhi (BCD) R S Goswami said though the Council cannot make any rule asking advocates not to represent the accused in this case, it can request them not to appear for the offenders of such a "shameless" act.
"We can only request the advocates not to appear or give legal advice to any of the accused in this gangrape case as we also live in the same society and their crime cannot be justified in any manner," Goswami said.
Arun Rathi, the vice president of Bar Association of Saket court, in whose jurisdiction the gangrape case falls, said "the Saket Bar Association stands by its resolution not to represent the accused in the gangrape of 23-year-old student."
When asked as to what would they do if the accused are provided a counsel from legal aid cell, Rathi said, "We can't go into that. From DLSA whosoever may represent them, but from our side, no counsel will defend them."
Rajiv Khosla, former President of Delhi Bar Association, too adopted similar views and said no advocate from the entire national capital will represent these accused.
"We had discussed it with all the lawyers and none of them will appear for these accused. This is a shameless incident. We are part of society and we are not here only to earn money. We also have sisters and daughters and no other crime can be more shameful than this," he said.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress