Delhi gangrape: Juhi Chawla wants an 'eye for an eye' punishment for rapists?
- Coal scam: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh summoned as accused in Hindalco case
- Supreme Court hands out life term to six convicts in Manjunath murder case
- AAP Delhi MLAs write letter seeking expulsion of Yadav, Bhushan: Reports
- Land to Mines to coal, Oppn stands stall in RS
- BJP line to restive RSS: our ministers may quit if PDP doesn’t behave
Actress Juhi Chawla today said that the rape of a paramedical student on a Delhi bus was a shocking incident and punishment for the perpetrators should be 'straight and simple'.
"Somebody said death sentence. I think this is too easy. I think they need to be punished in a way that would be a lesson for them," said Chawla, who was here today to inaugurate the Kolkata International Children's Film Festival (KICFF).
"Sometimes we say that it is barbaric... Eye for eye, tooth for tooth... This is not justice," the 45-year-old actress said.
"Why don't we just go out and really make it so straight that there is no crime because people fear that if they do something wrong, if they cut off somebody's fingers, then their own fingers will be cut off tomorrow.
"If we keep it straight and simple, there will be no crime," she added.
The 'I Am' actress said she found the incident disturbing and hard to believe.
"I could not believe what I was reading. It is very shocking and disturbing. It happened at a time when the city was alive. It is unfortunate that it happened to the little girl," she said.
"Every other day we read about some crime or the other. Every day either the women are at the centre of it or elderly people are targeted," Chawla added.