Delhi gangrape: PM condoles girl's death
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
He said it would be a true homage to her memory if the emotions and energies of the youth generated by the brutal assault on her are channelised into a constructive course of action.
Deeply saddened by the death of the girl, he joined the nation in conveying to her family and friends his deepest condolences at this terrible loss.
"I want to tell them and the nation that while she may have lost her battle for life, it is up to us all to ensure that her death will not not have been in vain.
"We have already seen the emotions and energies this incident has generated. These are perfectly understandable reactions from a young India and an India that genuinely desires change. It would be a true homage to her memory if we are able to channelise these emotions and energies into a constructive course of action," he said in his condolence message.
He said the need of the hour is a dispassionate debate and inquiry into the critical changes that are required in societal attitudes.
The government, Singh said, was examining on priority basis the penal provisions that exist for such crimes and measures to enhance the safety and security of women.
"I hope that the entire political class and civil society will set aside narrow sectional interests and agenda to help us all reach the end that we all desire making India a demonstrably better and safe place for women to live in," Singh said in his condolence message.
The Prime Minister said he prays for the peace of the departed soul and hoped that her family will have the strength to bear this grievous loss.
Meanwhile, President Pranab Mukherjee today condoled the death of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim, who died early this morning in a Singapore Hospital.
The President expressed his grief over the death of the girl.
The girl, who was admitted to the well-known multi-organ transplant facility Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore in an extremely critical condition, breathed her last at 4:45 AM (2:15 AM India time). She was earlier treated at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi.
She was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in a Delhi bus a fortnight ago.
- Treasure trove: Amicus points finger at temple ‘highest echelons’
- Ramdev ‘goes live’ on poll funding, Congress hits BJP on black money
- Vishwas, Cong worker booked
- Kanpur’s Muslim vote is for betterment, not to stop BJP
- Don’t name next Army Chief before May 16, BJP tells govt
- ‘Opposition conspiring to kill me’