Delhi gangrape: Protestors bludgeon constable almost to death at India Gate
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Akhilesh Yadav tears into Narendra Modi bastion on maiden visit to Gujarat, says third front ready to govern
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs DD: CSK wreak havoc on DD with clinical bowling
A Delhi Police Constable was tonight battling for life after he was severely beaten up near India Gate by protesters who had gathered to demand security for women in the capital in the wake of last week's gang-rape incident.
On a day hooligans took over and violence erupted in India Gate in which 78 policemen and 65 protesters were injured, police fired 250 teargas shells, repeatedly used water jets and resorted to baton charge.
Among the 78 policemen injured were Joint Commissioner (Central) Taj Hasan, Additional Commissioner (New Delhi) K C Dwivedi, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer) B S Jaiswal and Additional Deputy Commissioner (New Delhi) Sanjay Tyagi.
"Constable Subhash Tomar is fighting for his life at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital," Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar told PTI. Tomar is posted at Karawal Nagar police station.
Tomar was beaten up at Tilak Marg near India Gate in the evening by "hooligans among protesters", Dharmendra Kumar, Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), said. "He is critical. He sank thrice but was revived by doctors. He is now on ventilator," the Special Commissioner said.
He said at least 25 vehicles -- 12 DTC buses, 12 PCR vans and a Doordarshan vehicle -- were damaged.
"We cleared India Gate completely by 5:30 pm," he said, adding the barricades erected by PWD for Republic Day celebrations next month were damaged by protesters.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota