Delhi gangrape: Several in Punjab, Haryana cancel New Year plans
- JD(U) rules out tie-up, Lalu starts own campaign, clock ticks down for Congress
- Judge among 11 dead in Pakistan court in alleged suicide attack
- In UP, Modi takes on Mulayam, says SP misleading people under veil of secularism
- Rahul Gandhi's ordinance shortcut loses way
- Vigilance complaints pile up as Delhi Police doesnât know password
Following nationwide grief and anger over the death of Delhi gang-rape victim, many people in Punjab and Haryana including both the state governments have decided to cancel or tone down their party plans for New Year.
Several prime hotels in the region and governments of both Punjab and Haryana have cancelled their programmes to be held to mark New Year celebrations, officials said here.
While Haryana government cancelled its lunch on the eve of New Year, several hotels and clubs in the region, including Press club of Chandigarh, too decided not to host any party.
Several business houses here have also decided to cancel events on New Year's eve, officials said.
Meanwhile, people across Chandigarh observed prayers for the victim. Various political outfits, cutting across party-lines, also joined in the mourning and demanded that the guilty be given the severest of the punishments.
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today
- Won’t return to NDA even if Narendra Modi is not PM candidate: JD(U)