Delhi gangrape: Several in Punjab, Haryana cancel New Year plans
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Narendra Modi slams Jayanti Natarajan; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Elections 2014 Phase 5: The five big battles
Following nationwide grief and anger over the death of Delhi gang-rape victim, many people in Punjab and Haryana including both the state governments have decided to cancel or tone down their party plans for New Year.
Several prime hotels in the region and governments of both Punjab and Haryana have cancelled their programmes to be held to mark New Year celebrations, officials said here.
While Haryana government cancelled its lunch on the eve of New Year, several hotels and clubs in the region, including Press club of Chandigarh, too decided not to host any party.
Several business houses here have also decided to cancel events on New Year's eve, officials said.
Meanwhile, people across Chandigarh observed prayers for the victim. Various political outfits, cutting across party-lines, also joined in the mourning and demanded that the guilty be given the severest of the punishments.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18