Delhi gangrape: Several in Punjab, Haryana cancel New Year plans
- SC stays Teesta Setalvad's arrest till Friday
- Arvind Kejriwal meets PM Modi, raises issue of statehood
- We moved from politics of agitation to politics of hope, says Yogendra Yadav
- After Modi's rap, BJP workers shelve NaMo temple project in Rajkot
- Nitish parades his numbers, Bihar Governor calls Manjhi for floor test
Following nationwide grief and anger over the death of Delhi gang-rape victim, many people in Punjab and Haryana including both the state governments have decided to cancel or tone down their party plans for New Year.
Several prime hotels in the region and governments of both Punjab and Haryana have cancelled their programmes to be held to mark New Year celebrations, officials said here.
While Haryana government cancelled its lunch on the eve of New Year, several hotels and clubs in the region, including Press club of Chandigarh, too decided not to host any party.
Several business houses here have also decided to cancel events on New Year's eve, officials said.
Meanwhile, people across Chandigarh observed prayers for the victim. Various political outfits, cutting across party-lines, also joined in the mourning and demanded that the guilty be given the severest of the punishments.