Delhi gangrape shakes Parliament; Jaya Bachchan breaks down, Sushma Swaraj, others seek death penalty
- 3.5 lakh well-off people have given up subsidised LPGs: PM Narendra Modi
- Meghalaya CM compares Rahul Gandhi to Alfred the Great, king who returned to conquer
- Naxals kill 7 of elite force in Sukma
- Across the Aisle: Land acquisition - Nine steps to nirvana
- India's Sons: What does it mean to be a man in India?
JD (U)'s Shivanand Tiwari linked these incidents to consumer culture and commodification of women in advertisements and films, and said that "item dances" are happening in movies. Bachchan objected to this, as she said, "How can you say that this kind of incidents are happening due to item songs".
Replying to the discussion, Shinde said the government proposes to have the case "tried by a fast-track court, with a request for day-to-day hearing, so that the trial does not linger". Besides, a special task force will be constituted to look into the safety of women in Delhi, taking into consideration suggestions made by members, he added.