Delhi gangrape: When Sonia came out to meet protesters, sit on street
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
Around 0015 hrs, on Sunday morning, Special Protection Group (SPG) went into a tizzy, as UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi emerged from steel gates of 10 Janpath, to meet protesters, who were shouting slogans outside 10 Janpath, in order to seek justice for Delhi's rape victim. And to everyone's surprise, she came out and sat on the road, where young students had plonked themselves, and engaged with them.
These protesters, who were holding candles, started from India Gate, and on reaching 10 Janpath, started shouting slogans. This reporter was present, when within split seconds, Sonia appeared from her house and mingled with protesters for about 15-20 minutes.
The traffic was diverted and road outside 10 Janpath, converted into a war room, and for a change, commoners received full attention, from the most powerful person.
And now the engagement part, Sonia Gandhi and about 4-5 girls, discussed demands and solutions, in full public view, which was watched live by around 200 protesters, including onlookers.
Also in attendance were at least 10 police gypsies and anxious SPG, Police personnel, awaiting further orders. The SPG again appeared helpless, even as some girls reprimanded them for pushing them around. Sonia then directed her security to maintain some distance.
And one of the students remarked, "Madam, aap ke paas security hai , hum ghar kaisey jayengey, hamen kon security dega".
Give us strong law, hang them, give us justice, and it went on, which Sonia heard patiently...but had no answers, even as she struggled for words, "I can't commit any thing, we will do it as soon as possible."
Two students, victims of police lathi charge were presented before her.
And before leaving, she asked five of the protesters to meet her at 10:00 a.m., a security officer, dutifully noted cell numbers of students, invited to meet her.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2