Delhi gangrape: Sushma Swaraj demands capital punishment for rapists
- Shooting in US military base leaves four persons dead, 14 injured
- IPL officials, owners and 12 players named in secret report to Supreme Court
- Narendra Modi Pak, US dono ko thhokega: BJP South Delhi candidate Ramesh Bidhuri
- Whoâs probing IM? NIA, Delhi Police stories different: HC
- Doubts surface over murdered Qateelâs âconfessionâ to police
Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday demanded capital punishment for those convicted in the sensational December 16 gangrape and murder case of a 23-year-old paramedic.
"I have raised the demand to award capital punishment to these four convicts. If they are awarded the death sentence, it would become a model for the country and effectively curb incidents of rapes," she told reporters after addressing a BJP meeting here.
"The new law has a provision to award capital punishment in a rape and murder case. This will be the first case under the new law in which the death sentence should be given," Sushma said. Today, a Delhi court found four men guilty of gangraping and murdering a paramedical student in a moving bus here on December 16 last year, a case which evoked nationwide outrage and forced the government to enact a stringent anti-rape law. The court would hear arguments on the quantum of sentence tomorrow.
- Panel points out holes in report on trees cut, writes to civic chief
- Man who made hoax calls to Jet Airways acquitted
- Metro not quite a vote puller for people in areas it runs
- Stir ends, BEST postpones new work schedule to June 1
- RBI banks on Bandhan, trusts Kolkata NBFC with rare licence
- Gujarat to SC: Woman knew of snooping, was thankful