Delhi gangrape: Sushma Swaraj demands capital punishment for rapists
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday demanded capital punishment for those convicted in the sensational December 16 gangrape and murder case of a 23-year-old paramedic.
"I have raised the demand to award capital punishment to these four convicts. If they are awarded the death sentence, it would become a model for the country and effectively curb incidents of rapes," she told reporters after addressing a BJP meeting here.
"The new law has a provision to award capital punishment in a rape and murder case. This will be the first case under the new law in which the death sentence should be given," Sushma said. Today, a Delhi court found four men guilty of gangraping and murdering a paramedical student in a moving bus here on December 16 last year, a case which evoked nationwide outrage and forced the government to enact a stringent anti-rape law. The court would hear arguments on the quantum of sentence tomorrow.