Delhi gangrape: Victim's friend testifies before court today
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
The 28-year-old male friend of the girl, who was brutally gangraped in a moving bus, today appeared before a fast track court here to testify about the incident to which he is the sole eyewitness.
The youth, a software engineer, came in a wheelchair in the court of Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna after he was summoned as a prosecution witness in the case of December 16 gangrape of a 23-year-old girl by six people.
The girl had died on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital as a result of the grievous injuries she had suffered when she was sexually assaulted by six people, one of them a juvenile.
Before she had died, the girl had recorded her testimony before a magistrate. Her statement along with that of her friend's will be crucial for the prosecution.
Meanwhile, the Delhi Police has filed its supplementary chargesheet, including the post mortem report of the girl, in the case.
On February 2, all the five adult accused in the case pleaded not guilty to the charges framed against them by the fast track court.
The court had framed charges under various sections of the IPC for offences which include gangrape, murder, attempt to murder, unnatural offences, dacoity, conspiracy and kidnapping.
Beside the victim's male friend, the court had also summoned three other prosecution witness to depose before the judge in the case.
The male friend's leg was seriously injured when the men on the bus had allegedly hit him with an iron rod.
According to the police, when the youth had tried to stop the gang, they hit him repeatedly and forced him to the back of the bus before they took turns raping the girl.
The police on January 3 had filed its initial chargesheet in the case.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties