Delhi gangrape: Victim's friend testifies before court today
- Telangana LIVE: Bill passed by throwing all norms to the wind, says Kiran Kumar Reddy after quitting Congress
- Protests in RS over Telangana, papers snatched from Secretary General
- Rajiv Gandhi killers to be released, Jayalalithaa takes decision at Tamil Nadu Cabinet meet
- Decision to black out Telangana proceedings taken by Lok Sabha secretariat, confirms Kamal Nath
- Express 5: AAP kickstarts its poll funding drive and Telangana Bill passed in Lok Sabha
The 28-year-old male friend of the girl, who was brutally gangraped in a moving bus, today appeared before a fast track court here to testify about the incident to which he is the sole eyewitness.
The youth, a software engineer, came in a wheelchair in the court of Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna after he was summoned as a prosecution witness in the case of December 16 gangrape of a 23-year-old girl by six people.
The girl had died on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital as a result of the grievous injuries she had suffered when she was sexually assaulted by six people, one of them a juvenile.
Before she had died, the girl had recorded her testimony before a magistrate. Her statement along with that of her friend's will be crucial for the prosecution.
Meanwhile, the Delhi Police has filed its supplementary chargesheet, including the post mortem report of the girl, in the case.
On February 2, all the five adult accused in the case pleaded not guilty to the charges framed against them by the fast track court.
The court had framed charges under various sections of the IPC for offences which include gangrape, murder, attempt to murder, unnatural offences, dacoity, conspiracy and kidnapping.
Beside the victim's male friend, the court had also summoned three other prosecution witness to depose before the judge in the case.
The male friend's leg was seriously injured when the men on the bus had allegedly hit him with an iron rod.
According to the police, when the youth had tried to stop the gang, they hit him repeatedly and forced him to the back of the bus before they took turns raping the girl.
The police on January 3 had filed its initial chargesheet in the case.
- LS polls: Cong playing wait-and-watch game in dozen-plus seats in state
- ‘Rs 2.3 cr spent on bungalow for former Prez, but that’s no loss to exchequer’
- 9 illegal immigrants working on Army premises nabbed
- BJP’s Saurashtra unit split wide open over former minister’s snub
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers
- The regressive state